Monday 3 April 2017

The Escape by C.L. Taylor





Out now

Published by Avon Books UK

Purchase from Amazon here


The Blurb:

"Look after your daughter's things. And your daughter…"

When a stranger asks Jo Blackmore for a lift she says yes, then swiftly wishes she hadn't. The stranger knows Jo's name, she knows her husband Max and she's got a glove belonging to Jo's two year old daughter Elise.

What begins with a subtle threat swiftly turns into a nightmare as the police, social services and even Jo's own husband turn against her. No one believes that Elise is in danger.

But Jo knows there's only one way to keep her child safe – RUN.


My Review:

I am a massive fan of C.L. Taylor’s work and got very excited when I saw The Escape was due for release. As always her work is full of drama, suspense, and twists which gripped me and had me hooked throughout.

It all gets off to a fast start as Jo is confronted and her and her daughter threatened. Her husband Max is a journalist and it seems that this could be connected to an investigation he has been involved in. But will anyone actually believe that Jo is being threatened, or will they think that she is in need of psychiatric help.

And so begins a dramatic tale that sees Jo flee her home, family and all around her in pursuit of answers and safety. But will she find it or will she run from one problem to another?

I loved the way the plot has been crafted. Just when I thought ‘aha, I have it’ I would quickly realise I didn’t. I became so engrossed in the story I could feel it and at times wanted to scream at Jo (for a number of reasons). She frustrated the hell out of me at times as she acted differently to how I would have handled the situation, but at the same time I just wanted someone to believe her, or take her under their wing.

The climax of the story had me on the edge of my seat, and unable to tear myself away. Written so descriptively I could sense the sounds, smells and feel the adrenaline. My heart was in my mouth……

The setting is beautiful, and whilst this is a thriller and a tense one at that, I could visualize the village so easily I actually wanted to go and visit the scene and holiday there, it felt real.

Once again C.L. Taylor has written a winning book that is frantic, thrilling, captivating and set my pulse racing!

No comments:

Post a Comment