Thursday 11 January 2018

The Chalk Man by CJ Tudor





Out Now

Published by Penguin, Michael Joseph

Purchase from Amazon here 


The Blurb:

The Chalk Man is coming . . .
'None of us ever agreed on the exact beginning. Was it when we started drawing the chalk figures, or when they started to appear on their own?
Was it the terrible accident? Or when they found the first body?'


My Review:

I have heard so much chatter about this book I wasn’t sure whether it would live up to the hype, or be a load of tripe…I’m really pleased to say that it cut the mustard for me, and kept me guessing right until the very end.

I was captured initially by the cover, but when teamed up with the synopsis my interest was piqued. I love a good thriller to get engrossed into and as my first of the new year I was excited to get started.

The book flits between the past and the present, and we meet a group of friends who hung out together as kids, and experienced something horrible that would come back to haunt them in the present. I don’t want to say too much about the plot as it would be unfair in case I accidentally revealed any spoilers, or took away from what is a tense, creepy and absorbing thriller. But let’s just say that events of the past may not be as clear cut or locked away as they might have hoped.

The story is told in the first person, with Ed being the main narrator. I think it would be fair to say he has his fair share of trauma, and I was totally engrossed in travelling between the past and the present with him, and trying to fathom the mystery out. If you are a Broadchurch fan you may remember how every cast member came under suspicion and it was all consuming until the big reveal…this book is along the same lines. I questioned everyone, and there are twists!

I can’t believe this is the debut novel of CJ Tudor. It is so well written! The scene setting and the descriptions used really bought the whole book alive for me, and gave it another dimension. I could visualise the surroundings, and it also heightened my other senses as I could almost smell, feel and hear the atmosphere coming off the page. I could imagine a film of the book being made as it would make for a terrific on the edge of your seat experience.

It kinda gives me the creeps just remembering back and writing the review as it all still feels very clear in my mind, and so believable certain scenes still send chills down my spine.  I am looking forward to CJ Tudors next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment