Tuesday 17 June 2014

The Bookshop on the Corner by Rebecca Raisin




Out now
Published by Carina UK
Purchase from Amazon

The Blurb:

Who said that only real heroes could be found in fiction?

Sarah Smith had an addiction – she was addicted to romance novels. The meet-cute, the passion, the drama and the gorgeous men! Now this wouldn’t have been such an issue if she hadn’t been the owner of the only bookshop in Ashford, Connecticut.

Ever since her close friend Lil, from The Gingerbread Café, had become engaged she had been yearning for a little love to turn up in her life. Except Sarah knew a good man was hard to find – especially in a tiny town like Ashford. That was until New York journalist, Ridge Warner stepped into her bookshop…

Love could be just around the corner for Sarah, but will she be able to truly believe that happy-ever-after can happen in real-life too!

From the brilliant author of The Gingerbread Café trilogy don't miss this linked novella to get a sneak-peek at how Damon and Lil are getting on before the next book in the series - Coming October 2014!

My Review:

The Bookshop on the Corner is a novella written by Rebecca Raisin as part of the Gingerbread Cafe series. I haven't read any of the books and didn't realise the novella was part of a series when I began reading. However this worked well as a stand alone story' and I didn't feel that I was missing information or find it hard to follow the plot line.

The novella centres around Sarah. Sarah lives in Ashford which is a small town. She also owns and runs the local bookshop. It was apparent to me early on that Sarah is a romantic who loves to lose herself in books (much like myself). She has a real passion for books and would love to find a great love just like in the best romance stories. I loved a quote in the novella from Ernest Hemmingway "there is no friend as loyal as a book". As a passionate book reader this made me smile. Books do provide so much, escapism, fantasy and the chance to think about such a cross section of people.

I loved some of the other characters who work in the town, particularly CeeCee who runs the local Gingerbread Cafe. I was laughing as she talked about Spacebook and Tweeter. I found myself wanting to go to Ashford to eat there, visit the bookshop and also have my hair done by Missy at the local hairdresser.

A journalist called Ridge comes to Ashford wanting to learn more about the town and interview the locals for an article he is writing. Could this be the big love interest for Sarah?  Read it and find out!!

I enjoyed the novella and Rebecca's style of writing. I am a big fan of books where there are a group of friends and this is very much a key part of this book. All the characters are really warm and feel like they could be part of my normal group of friends. This definitely helped me gel with the story. As I said at the start, I haven't read any of the books in the series but based on this novella I will definitely be looking out for them and reading them in the future.

Thank you to Carina for providing me with a copy of the novella in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment