Wednesday 26 November 2014

We've Always Got New York by Jill Knapp


Out Now
Published by Harper Impulse
Purchase from Amazon here


The Blurb:

The second book in Jill Knapp’s fabulous series about dating in New York picks up after Amalia Hastings returns to Manhattan from her trip to Brazil – and finds that life has indeed gone on without her.

Fresh off the plane, Amalia’s feeling anxious and unresolved; left alone to pick up the pieces and deal with the repercussions of choosing her own path over Michael.

Without an apartment, without a job, and starting to wonder if she’s even without a best friend, she finds herself holding on tightly to the one thing she is familiar with, New York City.

Sometimes you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be…


My Review:

I was really looking forward to the second installment in this trilogy and it was get to see what Amalia was getting up to. This picks up as Amalia returns from her travels and prepares for her return to study. Her most immediate problem is having a place to stay as she gave up her apartment before she left. I assumed she would stay with her best friend Cassandra, but she has become incredibly rude and nonchalant about having Amalia which really leaves her with no choice but to look elsewhere.

Amalia temporarily moves in with Olivia whilst looking for somewhere more permanent. Olivia is still dating Alex and we follow them through ups and downs during this book. I really like Olivia and Alex. Whilst Olivia is like many of us, looking to be loved, and doting on the man she loves she doesn't leave her friend in the lurch. Olivia is a great friend and I enjoyed learning more about her and her relationship with Alex. They are so sweet!

Anyone who has read the first book will know the story with Michael. Would he turn out to be the big romance once they see eachother again? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell. But that doesn't stop Amalia who starts dating Hayden. Hayden is obviously very into her, far more than the other way round it seemed to me. It is clear she still holds a flame of hope for Michael throughout the book, and the feeling seems to be mutual. It all gets quite complicated and things with Hayden hit the rocks. Will there be a happy ending with Michael? I can't decide if I want there to be or not. Hayden treats Amalia so well and clearly likes her alot,  but there felt like a spark missing. The spark that is so important. But I am not sure if Michael is the answer to all her dreams. Time will tell if I change my mind I guess.

Cassie, Amalia's best friend is just awful in this book. She is a downright cow in the way she treats Amalia and as readers we are as clueless as Amalia to the reason why. I found myself getting really angry with her for being so horrible. I was desperate to find out if there was a good reason behind it, or if she had just turned into a witch in Amalia's absence. I wanted Amalia to stand up to her from early on, but could empathise why that might be so hard.

There are so many spoilers I could give and which I am itching to share but I won't. I don't want to ruin the story for other readers. I think I enjoyed this book even more than the first. We know the characters better now, and the storyline is very well written and played out.


I love New York even more than I did before and would so love to be young enough to go over there as a young thing, and maybe even study there and experience the student life. Unfortunately I will have to live vicariously through books such as this.

This book delivered, as expected lots of laughs, fun, adventure and romance. It also shows the more challenging emotional sides of relationships and friendships. I love Amalia and her friends and am already waiting excitedly to check in with their shenanigans in the third part.  

Thank you to Harper Impulse who kindly provided a copy in return for an honest review.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book so much- glad to see you felt the same. Now I just need to know what happens! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete