Monday 28 March 2016

Last Kiss Goodnight by Teresa Driscoll




Out Now
Published by Bookouture
Purchase from Amazon here


The Blurb:

I stroked the top of my baby’s head and whispered to him gently that I would find a way. I will not let them take you… 

Once upon a time Kate’s life was full of love and smiles and laughter. A time where she dared to dream and hope. But then her perfect family unit is shattered in the most unthinkable way. And now Kate is silently and steadily falling apart. 

When she meets Martha, Kate recognizes a kindred spirit. Martha is searching for a lost love; tragedy has touched her life too. Why are they so inexplicably drawn to one another? And why are they both keeping secrets about their pasts? 

As Kate and Martha are forced to face the painful memories they’d each locked away, can they save each other and learn to live again? 

A beautifully written story full of emotion, hope and the redeeming power of love and friendship. Perfect for fans of Diane Chamberlain, Amanda Prowse and Rowan Coleman.

My Review:

I have been so excited about reading Teresa Driscoll's new book. Her debut novel, Recipes for Melissa, was one of my favourite books of last year,  so I was waited with baited breath to dive into Last Kiss Goodnight, and I was wasn't disappointed! 

Last Kiss Goodnight is a tender book of love, loss and friendship, which is beautifully written.

The novel features two main characters, Kate and Martha. Both have experienced loss which has had a massive impact on their lives. Somehow fate draws them together, and before long they have formed a wonderful friendship that I think brings them both an element of acceptance and happiness. As a reader we know that they have both been touched by tragedy, but it is only as the story unfolds that we go on to learn just what has happened to each of them, and to understand the full impact the events have had on them since. 

Teresa has such a wonderful way of writing that allowed me to visualise the characters and connect with them very quickly.  The characters appear to have been developed with real love and empathy. They are both very fragile, and this certainly came through to me. As I look back on it, I realise that I found myself reading the book very gently, and it felt right to treat it softly and respectfully, rather than racing through to the end. 

I found that I really liked both Kate and Martha, and I wanted to hear their story, but only when they were ready to tell it. It was almost like as well as building up trust with eachother they were also building up trust with me as a reader before talking about some very painful experiences. I loved seeing how Martha helped begin to bring Kate back to life again. A bit like a gardener nurturing a tree or plant to flower after a long, harsh winter. 

I also loved the setting. A small town where there is a real sense of community. I loved the different characters, and the warmth and smiles that they raised. They are just genuinely nice people, without being sickly sweet. I would happily go and live in the town tomorrow!

I don't really want to talk too much about the storyline for risk of ruining it for others. But I will say, that I loved it and would definitely recommend it as a must read. Now hurry up and write your next book Teresa, I cannot wait! 

Thanks to Bookouture for kindly providing me with a copy for review. I must just also say, look out for Bookouture titles. They are fast becoming one of my favourite publishers, with great book after great book!

No comments:

Post a Comment