Monday 27 April 2015

The Major Crimes Team by Graham Smith




Out Now
Published by Caffeine Nights
Purchase from Amazon here


My Rating: 5 stars - great intro to a new crime team

The Blurb:

The Cumbria Major Crimes team is under immense pressure to get results. DCI Harry Evans and his subordinates, DS Neil Chisholm, DC Lauren Phillips and DC Amir Bhaki must juggle cases
while tragedy stalks them. Up in Glasgow, DI John Campbell is preparing to replace Evans, whose renegade ways have brought enforced retirement.

Together they must investigate a man killed in his own home, a vigilante group chasing a suspected paedophile, a river dammed for no obvious reason and a woman whose cries of ‘wolf’ turn to ‘rape’. Meanwhile DC Phillips goes undercover off the books.


My Review:

This is a brilliant collection of short stories which introduces us readers to the Cumbria Major Crimes Team. Each story is individual but the recurring characters interlink them and allow us to get to know the team. DCI Harry Evans heads up the team and we get to know him best both in a work and personal capacity. I really liked his character and would happily follow him and his team in full length books.

The stories whilst short each packed a punch and showed to me that as a reader I would happily sit down and read novels featuring the team. Graham Smith has already shown me that he can write gritty crime scenes that capture my imagination, and detectives who are brilliant at what they do, but also fallible and real. I could easily imagine this team transformed into a compelling drama series on TV.

This is a great debut and introduction. I like the style of writing which reveals enough to keep you informed,  it holds a little something back that keeps me as a reader on my toes and trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together, wondering what I am missing. I am looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of Snatched from Home, the first full length novel featuring the team.

Thanks to the publisher who provided a copy in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment