Wednesday 26 February 2014

My first review....The Dead Wife's Handbook

I couldn't go a day longer without sharing an amazing book with you.....

The Deadwife's Handbook by Hannah Beckerman

'Today is my death anniversary. A year ago today I was still alive.'


Rachel, Max and their daughter Ellie had the perfect life - until the night Rachel's heart stopped beating.


Now Max and Ellie are doing their best to adapt to life without Rachel, and just as her family can't forget her, Rachel can't quite let go of them either. Caught in a place between worlds, Rachel watches helplessly as she begins to fade from their lives. And when Max is persuaded by family and friends to start dating again, Rachel starts to understand that dying was just the beginning of her problems.


As Rachel grieves for the life she's lost and the life she'll never lead, she learns that sometimes the thing that breaks your heart might be the very thing you hope for.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 I loved this book from start to finish. It was hard to believe that this is Hannah's writing debut. I found drawn in from the first page. The way Hannah writes allowed me to engage with Rachel and her family from the outset and had me laughing as well as in tears throughout. 

The book follows the seven stages of grief and I could actually feel myself going through each stage along with the characters. At times I was unable to sleep with the depth of emotion I was feeling. The anger stage particularly affected me. 

Reading the synopsis I had a clear view and stance on how I would feel about my partner moving on if anything happened to me. I watched the film We Bought A Zoo with him a couple of months ago which left me heartbroken to think that he may ever be happy without me. S going into this book I thought I was adamant I would feel like that. However through Hannah's fantastic writing style I was able to enter the world of those left behind and it left me pondering what I actually feel.

This book is a life affirming read and will leave you wanting to make the most of every moment and give everyone a big hug to let them know you love them

I cannot wait to read Hannah's next book. She is amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment