Thursday 27 February 2014

The Memory Book by Rowan Coleman

The Memory Book is the story of Claire and her family. Claire is in her 40's and has been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's, the same illness that her father had also suffered from. 

The book is beautifully written, telling the story both from Claire's but also the family's perspective, in particular her daughter and Mother. You are taken on a journey of how the illness affects them all in different ways, and it certainly made me think about how I take the simplest of things in life for granted.

The subject matter is serious and heartbreaking, but there is a good dose of humour in there too. it is brilliantly and sensitively written and really taps into your emotions. I felt I got to know the characters straight away and felt a real empathy for them. 

Do read this book, you will not be disappointed. I had to slow myself down to stop myself reading it too quickly. It sounds silly but I didnt want to lose the characters too soon. Rowan has written a book that will leave you thinking about your own life and how the things we take for granted we should cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment