Saturday 6 February 2016

A home in Sunset Bay by Rebecca Pugh




Publication date: 9th February
Published by Carina
Purchase from Amazon here

The Blurb:

There’s no place like home… Enough is enough! The always perfect Laurie Chapman had jumped in her car and raced as fast as she could from London heading to Sunset Bay and (she hopes!) the open arms of her estranged sister…

Mia Chapman loves running Dolly’s Diner in the picture-perfect coastal Cornish town of Sunset Bay. Now that her and Grandma Dolly’s dream is finally a reality Mia has never been prouder! Until Laurie suddenly turns up on her doorstep… How can she forgive the sister who walked away?
Once upon a time Mia and Laurie were best friends. Back together after so long, the time has come for the sisters to figure out what went so wrong all those years ago – and whether they can ever put it right!
An uplifting romantic comedy about sisters, friendship and the love of good food.

My Review:
A Home in Sunset Bay is the first book I have read by Rebecca Pugh, and it certainly won't be my last....I absolutely loved it! I definitely think I have found a new author to add to my list of 'must reads' list. If you are a fan of Cathy Bramley, Holly Martin, Rebecca Raisin and similar authors I think you will also love Rebecca Pugh.  
This book is so brilliantly written it pulled me into the world of Sunset Bay right from the outset. The descriptive writing creates a world that it is easy to imagine being real. The characters are so warm, fun, and easy to become attached to. I am actually finding it hard to review because as a reader the best part was uncovering the different characters and Sunset Bay itself, and I don't want to spoil that for anyone else. 
The lead character is Mia Chapman.I loved Mia and wanted to be her friend. Mia runs Dolly's Diner, which she inherited from her Grandmother a couple of years ago. From the minute I entered the diner as a reader I loved it. I could imagine stepping into an authentic 50's american style diner in both look and feel. It felt like a welcoming place that I would love to be a regular at. The book is smattered with descriptions of gorgeous food and drinks that had me hankering for some. It is clear how much Mia loves the diner, and the people she works with more than employees, they are also her friends. 
Out of the blue her sister Laurie turns up. It is clear that they have had a falling out, and there is alot unsaid between them. But as we get to know Laurie all isn't as it seems to be, and we go on a journey with both sisters reviewing what life has to offer them, and how they can make their dreams come true.
Along the way there are lots of laughs, some romance, and some life changing decisions. We meet some other fabulous characters who are a joy to read about. We also get to imagine just what it must be like to live in a coastal town like Sunset Bay, and I have to say...I am jealous and would love to be part of the community. Rebecca has built an idyllic image of a warm, welcoming place that is simply stunning to look and, and so friendly too. The characters that live them could easily become friends (if of course they were real!). It sounds like just the sort of place I would love to set up home. 
What really makes this book for me is Rebecca's writing. She has a natural talent for descriptive writing to bring the world of the book off the page, and make it come alive in my head. As you may have guessed from my gushing, she has created characters to love and root for. You want to be part of their world and see where life leads them. 
I haven't yet read Rebecca's first book, Return to Bluebell Hill, but I will definitely be bumping it up my reading list! I think we will see lots more from Rebecca and I really can't wait!
I really recommend getting your hands on a copy of A Home in Sunset Bay. Warm, romantic, fun, and uplifiting, it is a must read. 
Thank you to Carina who kindly provided a copy in return for an honest review. 

1 comment:

  1. I have seen this book around on Twitter, and it seems quite popular. From your review I can see why. I love foodie books and Sunset Bay already sounds like an idyllic place.
    Amanda.

    ReplyDelete