Wednesday 17 February 2016

I Followed the Rules by Joanna Bolouri





Out now
Published by Quercus Books
Purchase from Amazon here

The blurb: 

Have you heard of The Rules of Engagement? It's a book that promises to teach you to find the man of your dreams in ten easy steps. Unsurprisingly, I don't own a copy. What is it, 1892?

But I'm a journalist, and I've promised to follow it to the letter and write about the results. Nevermind that my friends think I'm insane, I'm stalking men all over town and can't keep my mouth shut at the best of times.

My name is Cat Buchanan. I'm thirty-six years old and live with my daughter in Glasgow. I've been single for six years, but that's about to change. After all, I'm on a deadline.

I Followed the Rules and this is what happened.

My review:

I love Joanna Bolouri and think she is hilarious, so I was excited to see she had a new book out that I hadnt read. And, yes, I can confirm that I think it is bloody brilliant! I was laughing away as I read it and it left me feeling like all is good in the world.

Cat is a single Mum with a gorgeous daughter Grace. She has been single for six years, since splitting up with Grace's dad Peter. She has a column in a weekend magazine, for which she is set the challenge of dating and following guidance in a book called The Rules of Engagement. Prepare yourself for hilarity as her challenge begins......

There are ten rules in the book. Rules such as dont talk too much about yourself, dont sleep with a man on the first date etc. Rules, which quite honestly Cat thinks are a load of rubbish, but which she agrees to follow for her column.

Her sister arranges a dinner to which she invites Tom, a good looking dentist who is obviously attracted to Cat, and to whom Cat is also attracted. But how well can he get to know the true her if she is following these rules?

Cat also meets sexy Dylan on a night out. A man she is most definitely not following the rules with! But does he really have any interest in her?

The rest of the book follows Cat on her exploits until we find out....does following the rules really work?

I adore Cat. She is funny, sassy, a wonderful friend and sister, a fantastic mother, and all round good egg. I found it so easy to warm to her, and view the story through her eyes. She has a great personality that, through Joanna's skillful writing, really shines through. I would love to be her friend (if she really existed!).

I've been out of the whole dating scene for quite a few years now, but it was funny to think back to old dates I have had, some that went well, but even funnier, the ones that didnt! I was imagining how I would get on following the rules. and I dont think it would be very well!

Thank you Joanna for writing the perfect, fun, touching book that had me curled up smiling and thoroughly enjoying. It really was a pleasure to read and left me all warm and happy after. Cant wait for the next book already.

Thank you to Quercus Books who kindly provided a copy in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment