Thursday 4 February 2016

Moth Girls by Anne Cassidy


Out now
Published by: Bonnier Publishing
Purchase from Amazon here


The Blurb:

Helplessly drawn like moths to the light, two girls go missing in an evocative and gripping tale . . . They called them the Moth Girls because they were attracted to the house. They were drawn to it. Or at least that is what is written in the newspapers that Mandy reads on the anniversary of when her two best friends went missing.

Five years have passed since Petra and Tina were determined to explore the dilapidated house on Princess Street. But what started off as a dare ended with the two girls vanishing. As Mandy's memories of the disappearance of her two friends are ignited once again, disturbing details will resurface in her mind.


My review:

Moth Girls is a great thriller that I raced through at breakneck speed. It is very cleverly written that really engaged me as a reader and meant that I really struggled to put the book down from the first page to the last. 

The book tells the story of Mandy, and her friends Petra and Tina. Petra and Tina had gone into an old local house years before and never been seen again. Mandy is only around because she refused to go in with them. The book is set both in the present day, but also spends alot of its time back in the days when they became friends, and in the lead up to their disappearance. I loved this as approach to writing. In some ways it felt more like I was reading back into a diary of past events. It explored their friendships, their home lives and ultimately, what happened to Petra and Tina,

The style of writing is fantastic. So descriptive, and the girls' story is very cleverly told. By slowly uncovering the characters I felt able to get under their skin and almost view the events through their shoes. I love it when this happens in a book as I get thrown totally into it. 

The book is quite gritty and as this is a thriller there are some scenes that are deep and perhaps could be described as quite unnerving, but not in a gruesome or horrific way. It is more about the events that take place for the characters affected me more as I had felt I was inside their head a bit. 

I loved this book and really would recommend adding it to your reading pile. It is very well written, keeps up a good pace, and creates characters that you will empathise with. If you are like me, and like to play detective you will be engrossed trying to solve the mystery of their disappearance. 

I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did!

Thank you to Bonnier Publishing who kindly provided a copy in return for an honest review. 


No comments:

Post a Comment